2017 Week 33
|Non-food retailers on promotion this week||67%|
|Equivalent for same week last year:||60%|
- This week our headline index has remained unchanged. This a major surprise, and represents the biggest YoY trend deviation we have seen this year
- Previous deviations (ie Easter) are explained by timing. This deviation is all about a number of retailers extending their Summer Sales versus last year
- Fashion is the major driver of this change. Last year, Week 33 saw a significant ending of Summer Sales, down to 58% from 65% the week before. This year, the steady return to full price seen recently came to an abrupt halt.
- This has not translated to related sectors. Department stores and footwear both continued to return to full price.
- Will the trend close the YoY gap next week? With demand fragile and consumer confidence brittle, extending sale periods may well become increasingly attractive.
** We track promotions daily by sector and company to support promotional optimisation programmes – for details contact firstname.lastname@example.org